Translate

Monday 14 July 2014

Yudh Pilot real-time review

As someone who is a huge admirer of Amitabh Bachchan's work and a television enthusiast (yes, that is real!), I was very intrigued to see the trailer of a new, twenty episode, mini-series by Anurag Kashyap and starring acting stalwarts like Zakir Hussain, Kay Kay Menon, Sarika and no, I'm not forgetting Amitabh Bachchan!

The trailer doesn't say much apart from Yudh (Amitabh Bachchan) being a big-shot business man who has two wives, children who aren't public knowledge and that someone dear to him is kidnapped.

So, it was natural that after a late night, the previous night, and a heavy evening snack I was waiting with all the energy I could to its 10:30 pm broadcast.

I tuned in at the moment the opening credits were getting over and saw that my entire family was sitting around to watch the show! It is not without reason that Manish Acharya's character in Loins of Punjab talks about Amitabh Bachchan's universal appeal to all genders and generations.

Also, I'm going to try to make this review as spoiler free as possible, but be warned for minor spoilers!

- Right at the start, I am hooked to Amitabh Bachchan's face - a study in silence and in speech!

- First commercial break arrives after only a few minutes. Some tidbits about the production are shared.

- Ugh! I hate noticing stupid production or continuity errors, especially when I'm not the most observant cat in the world! For example, I noticed that the characters Nayantara (Ayesha Raza) and Rishi (Pavail Gulati) kept asking their maid (I think) for butter and she came back with something red (Does butter mean pickle in some parts of this country?)

- Some discussions about Yudh's mining dreams and his need to ensure people's safety from bad construction keep coming up (not much foresight, there, I see. Have you learnt nothing from Kaala Patthar, Mr. Bachchan? :| )

- There is this really awkward scene where a nephew receives his uncle, coming out of jail, after eleven years with much vigour. Said uncle is Yudh's wife's brother. The scene has some comically typical, CID type TV show extras and, mildly, breaks the wonderful pace at which the story in unravelling itself.

- Mona Wasu playing Mona is a small but highly effective part of the Pilot. She adds an edge that the men in the show are only vaguely venturing.

There were many moments that kept me stuck to the story tonight, but, most of them involved Amitabh Bachchan and his acting prowess. None of the other actors have been given an opportunity to add to that story, yet. Hopefully, the rest of the series will tie them all in a neat bunch.

All in all, the pilot episode of Yudh has given me enough information to keep me hooked on to watch the next episode. Although, has it left me wanting to jump time to tomorrow 10:30 pm so I can do so? No, not really. The show is starting at a fair pace and if it only grows from here, it might even be a great story and not just a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment